Bio

Blanco began his training at the School of Arts and Crafts of Salamanca and then continued his studies at the Escuela Superior de Bellas Artes de San Fernando in Madrid. He obtained several scholarships to go to Rome: in 1941, in 1957, and 1959, the latter granted by the Juan March Foundation, which allowed him to reside in the Spanish School of Fine Arts, of which he was appointed director from 1981 to 1985. There, he learned to cast, coming into contact with bronze, a material he widely used later on. Blanco took numerous trips abroad: Germany, Austria, France, Greece, Netherlands, Brazil, Cuba, Egypt, etc. He was appointed as an academic of the Royal Academy of Fine Arts of San Fernando in 1975, while also being a member of the Artistic Academy dei Vituosi dei Pantheon in Rome. His work, within figuration, presents great creative freedom, aiming towards abstraction without ever losing sight of the reason on which it is inspired. Horses, horsemen, bulls, bullfighters, and other themes extracted from his homeland stand out in his production. He was a skilled craftsman in the manipulation of matter; in his creations, he knows how to play with planes and geometric structures that endow his sculptures with movement and a certain expressionist character, which helps the importance given to the vacuum that fills his work with air and lightness.

Work

Toro, 1990

Available

x